Spain has introduced amendments to the technical specifications of the Spanish Immediate Supply of Information system (known as the SII) which will have effect from 1st July 2018.
The SII, launched on 1st July 2017, requires taxpayers to electronically report their invoice data in XML file format in near real-time through the Spanish tax authorities’ e-platform. It generally affects businesses whose turnover in the previous year was at least EUR 6,010,121.04 or those on the monthly refund scheme Redeme.
The revised SII requirements provide for, amongst others, the following changes:
- The introduction of a new field for invoices made by a successor company after a corporate restructuring operation;
- Additional tags to identify simplified invoices that satisfy the requirements for VAT deductibility;
- The creation of specific fields for various kinds of exemptions recorded on the same invoice;
- Renaming of certain registration fields for improved clarity and precision of information;
- The introduction of a new blank field for taxpayers to better organise their submissions; and
- The introduction of a code to identify invoices issued or received with a value of at least EUR 100,000.
These changes impact the XML file format of the SII submissions, so it is important for businesses to ensure that they adapt their accounting and ERP systems in readiness. This is the case for business’ both preparing to start filing SII and also those already making submissions.